PUBLIC NOTICE – SPECIAL MEMBERSHIP GENERAL MEETING
[Date of Notice: August 3, 2022]
The ‘Namgis First Nation is seeking membership approval to amend the ‘Namgis First Nation Election Regulations (2018) to include provisions that allow for electronic voting and a change to section 9.09 to be more inclusive of both on- reserve and off-reserve membership voting procedures.
As stated within the Elections Regulations (2018), any amendments are to be held at a ‘Namgis general meeting whereby any proposed amendments can only be passed by a two-thirds (2/3) majority of those Electors who are present and vote at the general meeting.
Date of Special General Meeting: Saturday, August 20, 2022 Time of Meeting: 1pm
Location of Meeting: Lawrence Ambers Memorial Recreation Centre (LAMRC), 49 Atli Street, Alert Bay
Proposed amendments to the Election Regulations are as follows:
WHEREAS we the Chief and Council (the “Council”) of the ‘Namgis First Nation (the “Nation”) enacted the ‘Namgis First Nation Election Regulations on March 17, 2018 (the “Regulations”);
AND WHEREAS the Council of the Nation deem it advisable and in the best interests of the Nation to amend the Regulations as set out below;
NOW THEREFORE the Council of the Nation enacts as follows:
- The Regulations are hereby amended as follows:
- Insert the following definition into section 1.01:
““Electronic Voting” means voting electronically in an Election in accordance with ‘Namgis electronic voting policy that may be established from time to time which shall at a minimum meet the same standards for in-person or mail-in voting, as adapted for electronic voting process;”
- Replace subsection 7.01(c) with the following:
“By mailing the Notice to all Electors whose address is known to ‘Namgis; and”
- Subsection 7.01(d) is deleted.
- Add in the following sentence to the end of section 7.01:
“The Notice shall set out the conditions for voting by Electronic Voting, should Council decide to permit Electronic Voting.”
- Delete the second sentence of Section 9.07 which reads “In the event that Council does not establish polling stations for Non-resident Electors, the Electoral Officer shall ensure that ballots, the back of which bears the Electoral Officer signature, are mailed to all Non- resident Electors at least thirty (30) days before the date of the Election along with a package consisting of:” and replace it with:
“The Electoral Officer shall ensure that ballots, the back of which bears the Electoral Officers signature, are mailed to all Electors at least thirty (30) days before the date of the Election along with a package consisting of:”
- Section 9.08 is deleted.
- Delete the first sentence of section 9.09 which reads “Non-resident Electors must place their ballot in the Ballot Envelope, which is, in turn, placed in the pre-addressed envelope with their Voter Declaration Form confirming their eligibility to vote in an Election.” and replace it with:
“Electors must place their ballot in the Ballot Envelope, which is, in turn, placed in the pre-addressed envelope with their Voter Declaration Form confirming their eligibility to vote in an Election.”
- This ‘Namgis Election Regulations Amendment 2022 will come into force on the date that a general meeting is held pursuant to section 13.01 of the Regulations and a two-thirds (2/3) majority of those ‘Namgis Electors who are present and vote at that general meeting vote in favour of the ‘Namgis Election Regulations Amendment 2022.
To be an eligible voter at this meeting, you must be a ‘Namgis First Nation member and have reached the age of nineteen (19) or older.
For a full copy of the current election regulations, please visit the ‘Namgis Administration Office or download it at: https://www.namgis.bc.ca/mdocs- posts/namgis-election-regulations-effective-2018-mar-17/