NOTICE OF MEETING
‘NAMGIS FIRST NATION GENERAL MEETING
October 22 & 23, 2022
Please be informed: Saturday – October 22 and Sunday – October 23, 2022, ‘Namgis Nation will be holding a General Meeting.
Agenda will be posted on the ‘Namgis website when finalized www.namgis.bc.ca
|When:||October 22, 2022||October 23, 2022|
|Time:||9 am to 5 pm||9 am to 3 pm|
|Served:||Lunch & Dinner||Brunch & Light Lunch|
|Where:||Lawrence Ambers Memorial Recreation Centre – Alert Bay|
One of the agenda items will be a vote on proposed amendments to the Election Regulations which are set forth in the draft Council Resolution below:
WHEREAS we the Chief and Council (the “Council”) of the ‘Namgis First Nation (the “Nation”) enacted the ‘Namgis First Nation Election Regulations on March 17, 2018 (the “Regulations”);
AND WHEREAS the Council of the Nation deem to advisable and in the best interests of the Nation to amend the Regulations as set out below:
NOW THEREFORE the Council of the Nation enacts as follows:
- The Regulations are hereby amended as follows:
- Insert the following definition into section 1.01:
““Electronic Voting” means voting electronically in an Election in accordance with ‘Namgis electronic voting policy that may be established from time to time which shall at a minimum meet the same standards for in-person or mail-in voting, as adapted for electronic voting process;”
- Replace subsection 7.01 (c) with the following:
“By mailing the Notice to call Electors whose address is known to ‘Namgis; and”
- Subsection 7.01 (d) is deleted.
- Add in the following sentence to the end of section 7.01:
“The Notice shall set out the conditions for voting by Electronic Voting, should Council decide to permit Electronic Voting.”
- Delete the second sentence of Section 9.07 which reads “In the event that Council does not establish polling stations for Non-resident Electors, the Electoral Officer shall ensure that ballots, the back of which bears the Electoral Officer signature, are mailed to all Non-resident Electors at least thirty (30) days before the date of the Election along with a package consisting of:” and replace it with:
“The Electoral Officer shall ensure that ballots, the back of which bears the Electoral Officer signature, are mailed to all Electors at least thirty (30) days before the date of the Election along with a package consisting of.”
- Section 9.08 is deleted.
- Delete the first sentence of section 9.09 which reads “Non-resident Electors must place their ballot in the Ballot Envelope, which is, in turn, placed in the pre-addressed envelope with their Voter Declaration Form confirming their eligibility to vote in an Election.” and replace it with:
“Electors must place their ballot in the Ballot Envelope, which is, in turn, placed in the pre-addressed envelope with their Voter Declaration Form confirming their eligibility to vote in an Election.”
- This ‘Namgis Election Regulations Amendment 2022 will come into force on the date that a General Meeting is held pursuant to section 13.01 of the Regulations and a two-thirds (2/3) majority of those ‘Namgis Electors who are present and vote at that General Meeting vote in favor of the ‘Namgis Election Regulations Amendment 2022.
To be an eligible voter at this meeting, you must be a ‘Namgis First Nation member and have reached the age of nineteen (19) or older.
For a full copy of the current Election Regulations, please visit ‘Namgis Administration Office or download it at: https//www.namgis.bc.ca/mdocs-posts/namgis-election-regulations-effective-2018-mar-17/
Out of Town attendees: Members will be reimbursed for gas and ferry. Travel claim will be processed upon receipt of original receipts for ferry and gas. Receipts will be given to the Accounting Office during regular office hours (Monday to Friday 8am-4pm) for processing and will be mailed.
Refreshments will be provided.
We hope to see you there!
For further information, please contact
|Gina Wadhams||Megan Whonnock|
|Executive Assistant||or||Assistant Administrator|
|(250) 974-5556 Ext: 3115||(250) 974-5556 Ext: 2001|